In this earlier posting, I had written about the low-performing 3rd-party Inkscape Extension known as ‘svg2tikz’. Nevertheless, this extension may prove useful to some users, who wish to import an arbitrary document-type into Inkscape – preferably vector-based – and who wish to convert that into LaTeX in some way. And it seems that, even though this project was abandoned some time ago, work has slowly begun to resume on its source-code. And so, I should also fine-tune some of the earlier commentary I had made about this extension.
First off, there is an important detail about how to compile and install this extension, which its devs fail to point out anywhere. It needs to be built and installed, using Python 3, while many Linux computers still default to Python 2.7. Therefore, the commands to build and install it are:
$ python3 setup.py build $ su (...) # python3 setup.py install
If one neglects this detail, then Unicode support is left out, and usually, SVG Files etc., will contain some Unicode characters. Further, as the Github comment states, while the importing of raster-based images is now supported, their import as Base-64 encoded, inline data is not. Therefore, within Inkscape, for example if a PDF File is being imported, the option needs to be unchecked, to ‘Embed’ graphics. And when Saving a Copy to TiKz Format, the option should also be unchecked, to ‘Indent Groups’.
But this last detail leads me to an important, additional observation. I have always known that the export of Text with the Figure has been dodgy. But lately, either because I’ve become more observant, or, because the behaviour of the latest version of the extension has improved, I’ve noticed what, exactly, goes wrong with Exporting Text along with the Figure.
(Updated 2/11/2020, 1h05 … )