My P2P Bitcoin Core Client taking a vacation today.

Today is Friday, July 7, 2017. According to some weather reports, there is a risk of Thunderstorms today. As I’m writing this the time is only 14h30 or so, and the Thunderstorms are expected for maybe around 17h00 or so.

A Thunderstorm could knock out my power, and could cause my blog to go offline. But this is a relatively minor inconvenience, according to recent experiences, because eventually I’d be able to reboot the host-machine and thus make the blog available to readers again.

If I had a Bitcoin P2P-client running, a power-failure could have more serious consequences.

So just to be safe, I shut down my Bitcoin P2P-client program for the day, while my Web-server is still running. I figure that providing no service for the time being, is a better alternative, than providing service which has gotten corrupted in some way. And then there could also be the eventual risk, of my having to rebuild my local copy of the block-chain, if simply rebooting the host-machine fails to recover it.

Because there are no T-Storms forecast for Saturday, I expect just to restart my P2P-client on Saturday morning. Sorry for any inconvenience to Bitcoin users today.

(Edit : )

As of 20h30, I am back up. For the moment, the Thunderstorm that was forecast, did not seem to materialize.

Dirk