Plasma 5 Notifications In Wrong Locations

I use a version of Linux on the one of my computers named ‘Plato’, that has Debian / Stretch as its base, but which also has Plasma 5 as its desktop manager. This was a system which I created from a Kanotix Live DVD, from before Kanotix had an official Debian / Stretch release. According to that Live Disk, the desktop manager was LXDE !  LXDE stands for “Lightweight X Desktop Environment”, while Plasma 5 is the successor to KDE 4, and is a powerful, CPU-consuming desktop manager. In the meantime, Kanotix has created two official ‘Stretch’ releases, one with LXDE and one with Plasma 5, both named ‘Kanotix Steelfire’.

What I felt I needed to do with Plato, was to install Plasma 5 via the package manager, even though the Kanotix developers had not yet done so. This customized Plasma 5 environment has been running fine for some time.

But only recently, after my email client – Thunderbird – received an update to version 60.x, I did notice that some of my desktop notifications seemed a little odd. Instead of appearing as official Plasma / KDE notifications, they appeared either as stylized bubbles, or as more-boring drop-down lists from the center, of the top, of my screen. And so this can lead to some confusion, or to some doubt in whether the system is still stable. In fact, I’ve read some other complaints from the Web, of people who ran in to the same behavior exactly. What seemed to irk them as well as me most, was that although we can use our KDE / Plasma Notification settings to designate, where we want notifications to appear, these apparently rogue notifications seem to disregard this setting.

Continue reading Plasma 5 Notifications In Wrong Locations

Routine OpenVPN Test Successful Today

On my home server I also host a VPN, which is based on the OpenVPN protocol, and which is secured by password-challenges and encryption keys. From time to time I carry out a test of this VPN – i.e. from outside my LAN – to make sure that software-updates and other changes have not caused it to stop working.

Today I went to a public WiFi hot-spot, and carried out such a test.

This test was a bit different from earlier tests, in that it was the first time I used my new as the client.

The test was a full success. At first, after I had logged in to my VPN, I tried pinging another computer on my LAN. Then, I created a remote desktop session on one of my computers, in which the desktop session was being handed through to my tablet, by way of the VPN.

What this means is that my new is fully compatible and set up to use this feature.

Dirk

(Edit 04/18/2017 : )

I have noticed that performing this test also knocked my Google Calendar app out from syncing. This caused a famous situation, in which the app was still displaying my schedule, but the tablet was no longer giving any notifications, for the reminders programmed in my calendar. This caused me no immediate distress, because I possess sundry other devices, which give alarms to signal the same reminders.

But the way in which I got the tablet to rejoin this chorus, was by first telling the Android Application Manager to erase the Cache of this one app, and then to go into the Accounts settings panel, to go into my Google Accounts, and from there, to toggle syncing of the Calendar Off and then On again.

After that, the app has been sounding all the reminders as before.