Finally getting the LanguageTool Grammar-Checker to work under Debian.

One of the software products which Linux has traditionally been lacking in, is grammar-checking software, that runs off-line. And one such package that I’ve been keen on getting to work, under Debian / Stretch as well as under the older Debian / Jessie, is LanguageTool. Why this LibreOffice extension? Because I would mainly want German and English support, while the product also offers some French support, the last of which can always come in handy in a Canadian province, which is officially French-speaking. The need can always arise, to write some letter in French, and a letter in which the grammar will need to be correct.

There do exist other proprietary solutions, but none which add full support for German.

When I write that I’ve been ‘keen on getting (this) to work’ , I’m referring to the fact that this extension can be a bit temperamental. As I was activating version 4.3 on my Debian / Jessie laptop ‘Klystron’ , I noticed that I had versions 2.3 and 3.8 already-downloaded there, that were left on my hard drive from past, forgotten failures. So, what I learned while installing v4.3 on ‘Plato’ , my main, Debian / Stretch computer, would be put to the test. If the attempt to install v4.3 on ‘Klystron’ also, worked on my first try, then these would be valid observations made, when previously working to get the same version working on ‘Plato’ . And my result was, that I could get v4.3 to work on ‘Klystron’ as well, on the first try! :-D

screenshot_20181222_212045

( Screen-Shot from the computer ‘Plato’ . )

During my recently-failed attempt to get this extension working on ‘Plato’ , I had gotten to a series of error-messages while clicking on ‘Tools -> LanguageTool -> Options…’ , that amounted to Java Null-Pointer Exceptions. Usually, such exceptions would indicate some serious programming error. But what I found was that I could get the extension to work, if I followed 4 basic guidelines:

(Updated 12/25/2018, 14h20 … )

Continue reading Finally getting the LanguageTool Grammar-Checker to work under Debian.