Downtime, Yesterday and Today

The way I host this blog and my site is unusual, in that I use a PC at home as my Web-server. This is not necessarily what other people should do, only how I do it.

What that implies is that the visibility of my site, is only as good as my ability to keep my computer running, as well as the quality of my personal Internet service. Most of the time, both run well.

But, starting around 15h30 yesterday afternoon, I started having some sort of trouble with my Internet connection. This issue is now resolved (for the time being). But this means that my site and blog were also offline until about 17h00 today.

I apologize for any inconvenience to my readers.



Some Strange Malfunction on the part of My ISP

I do not own my own IP address. And this blog is not being hosted from an IP address I own, but rather from a personal IPv4 address owned by my ISP, which they allot me via standard DHCP protocol. Hence, my ISP is free to change my IP address, and to assign me a new one at any time, on the assumption that I only have an account for personal use.

When the ISP does this, I have software in place, that makes sure my domain names still resolve to the new IPv4 address, i.e. software which updates the DNS servers with my new address. I am a client of DynDNS.

But since last evening, there has been some unusual activity in this regard, in that my ISP did not only assign me a new IPv4 address, but did so roughly once per hour, until today.

While doing so only disrupted IPv4 access to my blog minimally, it did in fact disrupt IPv6 access to my blog. Right now I have updated my IPv6 address again manually, so that IPv6 access should be possible again.

But I do hope that this malfunction has now passed.



My IP address was reassigned last evening.

I am hosting this blog on a personal Web-server, which connects to the Internet via a personal DSL. This may also be why downloading some of my content could have been slow for the readers.

I don’t own my IP-address. So my ISP can just cut that off, and reassign me a new one whenever they feel like it. When they do this, my LAN is still up – thankfully – but my link to the WAN – the Extranet – is gone for a  few minutes.

I have software which updates my IPv4 address automatically in this situation, so that this URL finds me again afterward. And I need to update my IPv6 address manually. But with any luck, these things can even take place without my being present, and most of my software just reconnects as it should.

And yet for the 5 minutes this can take, the readers might not have been able to retrieve my blog last night.