One subject which I have written about at length, is the apparent instability of the Realtek WiFi chipset, on my laptop named ‘Klystron’. If anything is likely to improve that, it would be a firmware update.
Well just today, a firmware update was installed, to ‘linux-firmware’ version 1.158, and this was also followed by a reboot.
After the reboot, I tried to test whether my 802.11n WiFi performance had improved. One main test which I did, was to transfer a 500MB file to the local laptop, from a Samba server on another computer on my LAN. And what I found, was some improvement in peak speed, to 2.0 Megabytes per second, corresponding to 16 mbps.
Before I could obtain that speed however, I first needed to restart the Samba server, which had been running on the originating computer since April 17. And this detail helps show, how speed limitations in transferring, may be due to numerous problems, other than the actual link quality of the WiFi client.