Yesterday I wrote, that I had received a new battery for my age-old laptop named ‘Venus’. Installing this was more than just a job of inserting it, and thankfully, the battery did fit.
Back in the year 2010 I was experiencing overheating issues with this laptop, in response to which I had attached plastic doorstops to its bottom, to act as spacers, and to allow air to flow. It sits roughly 3/4 inch above its cooling tray. The type of doorstop I used was a simple, convex type, which was also the only kind I could have used.
This required in 2010 that I attach some of these self-adhesive doorstops directly to compartment doors on the underside of the laptop, which can be opened or removed. And yes, one doorstop needed to be attached to the removable battery.
Hence, with the arrival of a new battery, I was 1 spacer short, from having a platform that was stable standing on 4 spacers.
So next, I looked at a local hardware store to see whether I could find an exact replacement for the doorstop which should go on the new battery. But that kind of primitive doorstop was not for sale. The hardware store was willing to sell me fancier ones, which could actually be used as doorstops, because the newer ones all have refinements that will make them look decent in the home. But the new doorstops also require the use of screws to be fastened, while the one I was looking to replace had been self-adhesive.
And so what I finally did – because I wanted to get on with setting up my laptop and not go on a shopping adventure – was just to buy some epoxy glue, which is being sold these days in pairs of syringes which are easy to use. We cut off the tips of the syringes, deal with any air bubbles, and then lay down two lines, of epoxy resin and hardener. Then we mix the two viscous fluids thoroughly with some disposable plastic tool. And we obtain a quick-setting resin, ready to adhere.
I had been able to pry the doorstop off the old battery without damaging it, which meant that I was ready yesterday to glue it onto the new battery.
The only disastrous fantasy I now have, is that the type of plastic used to make the doorstop, may not form a long-term bond with epoxy. If that should be the case, the newly-glued spacer can simply fall off my laptop one day, when I’m handling it, and when I’m least likely able to deal with it.
It is already written, that epoxy glue is not compatible with polyethylene or polypropylene. I’m sure that the laptop’s surfaces are neither, but am not sure about the (cheap) doorstops’ surfaces.
For now, the one homemade spacer has continued to adhere since yesterday, and not only the three, which are attached with the adhesive backing they were manufactured with.
In any case, in addition to the epoxy, I also bought some generic superglue, in case I might need it. But realistically, if the epoxy does not hold, and I’m forced to try repeating the exercise with superglue, my long-term chances of success have already become Nil.