Testing the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 external sound device, with my Samsung S6 Smart-Phone

I have tested, whether this external USB recording tool, works with my Samsung Galaxy S6 Smart-Phone, using an ‘StarTech.com’ OTG adapter. The results were mixed. In An Earlier Posting, I had tested whether this external USB Sound Card, works under Linux. And the answer to that question was a resounding Yes.

Scarlett 2i2 _1

When we plug an OTG adapter into a smart-phone or tablet, this puts the mobile device into Master / Host Mode, that would otherwise normally work in Slave Mode. Thus, we can then plug in a USB storage device, and hopefully have that recognized, while by default, we can only plug our mobile device into a computer, and have the computer recognize this mobile device, as the storage device.

But it is also plausible to connect other external devices to our mobile device, when using an OTG adapter. All this happens because the OTG adapter itself contains an additional chip, that gives it the ability to act as a USB Host. Whether such external devices will work or not, generally depends on two factors:

  1. Whether the micro-USB port on the mobile device can output enough current, to supply the external / Slave device, and
  2. Whether the mobile device possesses the drivers needed, for the USB device in question. Under Linux, this last question is more likely to be answered in the affirmative.

The OTG adapter I was using, uses its micro-USB side as the only power-supply. This means that if the connected device draws a full 500mA of supply current, we are pushing the limit, that is generally set for USB 2.0  PC ports.

Continue reading Testing the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 external sound device, with my Samsung S6 Smart-Phone

The Old USB Key was Most Definitely Defective.

During This Preceding Posting, I had written that today I saw the need to dispose of an older USB Key in favor of a newer one.

With the older Key, for some reason my speed had gone down to USB 1 speeds as well. But I had let it run for a few hours, to transfer a photo album from the computer I name ‘Phoenix’, to the one I name ‘Klystron’. There were roughly 6000 photos, in 200 folders.

After replacing the USB Key, of course the thought had occurred to me, that the transfer itself was suspect. So on ‘Klystron’, I ran a quick preview of the sub-folders. At random, about 1/4 of the sub-folders contained image-files, whose data revealed no images.

And so what I now did, was to repeat the procedure with my new Sony USB Key. It was able to load the images – which take up 7.8GB of storage – from ‘Phoenix’ at USB 2 speeds (20 Megabytes / Second), and save them to ‘Klystron’ at USB 3 speeds (80 Megabytes / Second). Hence, the repeat of that procedure merely required a few minutes of my time. In the process, the USB Key got warm.

Now, it would seem that there is no more corruption in the files, belonging to the sub-folders, as stored on ‘Klystron’.