On my Debian / Jessie laptop ‘Klystron’, I gave up some time ago, in compiling OGRE 1.10, this just resulting in a mess. Instead, on that platform I was only able to build OGRE 1.9 from source code, which is fully stable, as long as we stick to the OpenGL (2) Render System.
On the Windows 7 desktop ‘Mithral’, my first attempt to build OGRE 1.10 also failed, resulting in a successful compile, but then a silent crash of the Sample Browser, indicating that something was not built right.
If I have OGRE installed on several machines, it makes most sense for them to be the same OGRE version, so next I compiled OGRE 1.9 on ‘Mithral’, successfully, using Visual Studio 2015.
In response to my observation, that I had not set up the dependencies correctly on the ‘Mithral’ build attempt of OGRE 1.10, I now re-attempted that, paying closer attention to all the details, specified within CMake 3.6.2 .
I found that I could not only build OGRE 1.10 on this machine but also run it. And I found, that contrarily to how it was with OGRE 1.9, the OpenGL3+ Render System of OGRE 1.10 is capable of producing working Geometry Shaders. At least this gives me some access to Geometry Shaders, and casts doubt back onto the MESA Drivers of ‘Klystron’, which would cause the X-Server to crash, if I ran the Geometry Shader example of OGRE 1.10 .
What I still cannot do, is build the DirectX 11 Render System that is supposed to work under OGRE 1.10 , due to errors I have not yet pinned down. But what that was supposed to bring me, is now being provided successfully by the OpenGL3+ Render System. Both of these two are stated by the OGRE Team, to be experimental render systems, for version 1.10 still.
I suspect that OGRE 1.10 is being neglected by their team, in favor of OGRE 2.1, which is their effort to port OGRE to Android.