Root Cause for my DSL Woes Solved. Downtime.

I take the unusual measure, of hosting my Web-site and thus my blog, on my private computer here at home. This gives more-mainstream users – who go through a professional hosting service – the advantage, that professionals also work to prevent downtime. With me, if anything cuts my connection to the WAN – the Wide-Area Network – my site and my blog become unreachable to the public.

There have been ongoing problems with my DSL service, which provides my home access to the WAN, and which I also commented about Here.

Well, this morning between 9h00 and 10h00, my externally-provided DSL cut out on me again. This time I placed a service call to my ISP, and as before, they offered me a prompt, rapid response from a technician. But unlike last time, I took this offer, and received professional service within the same day.

According to how it now stands, the root cause for the previous malfunction has been found this time. Last time, the repair that was done was faster to carry out, but did not solve the root problem.

So I am finally looking forward to a stable connection, and should be publicly visible as of 16h30 the same day…

Oh. Because I also needed to reboot my computer, my server-side cache has been cleared, and this blog will seem to load whichever postings you prefer to read more slowly for a little while, again.

I apologize for any inconvenience.

Continue reading Root Cause for my DSL Woes Solved. Downtime.

So. My Blog is back online.

One of the facts which I have written about numerous times, is that I take the unusual approach, of hosting my Web-site and my Blog, on my own Server at home. This differs from what most people would do, which would be to go to a commercial / professional hosting service.

They have an advantage over me, in that their provider has better resources to ensure the availability of their content.

I, on the other hand, can simply be taken offline, as soon as my physical connection – my Home DSL – becomes faulty.

This was exactly what happened to me, between 4h00 on Saturday morning, October 22, and now, 11h00, Tuesday morning, October 25.

A technician from my ISP honored his appointment today, and came, and did repair my connection.

My ISP was actually willing, to set me up with a technician as early as Sunday afternoon, but I skipped that choice in the automated system, where I created my repair ticket, because on Sunday afternoon I had a prior engagement – to play the RPG Quest-Masters with a group of friends – and because I did not see this tech support case as an emergency myself.

I am confident that my site will be visible again for some time. But I also recognize, that due to 3-4 days of having been offline, of course my search-engine rankings will have suffered. So for the next little while, I do not expect to be receiving as many hits per day, as I had been receiving prior to Saturday.

Easy come, easy go.



Loss of Internet Connection, Downtime

I take the unusual approach, of hosting my blog on my own private Web-server at home. One nasty side-effect of this is, that if my domicile loses its Internet connection, which for most homes would only be a minor inconvenience, my Web-site and blog actually go offline. This also differs from what other bloggers might experience, who host their blogs on professional servers, where professional admins do their best to avoid downtime.

This morning, starting at about 4h30, my home Internet started to experience instabilities. One of the details which I do not really know yet, is what might have been causing this. But my Internet was effectively out, from 4h30 until 14h30, at which time I took the step of power-cycling my router, which means, to unplug the router from its AC wall outlet, to wait for 60 seconds, and to plug it in again. Then, already having lost my connectivity, I also thought it best just to reboot my host-machine ‘Phoenix’.

So it could be, that my blog was visible to the Internet again by 14h45 this afternoon.

I still do not really know whether my connection is fully stable again, but it seems that way, except for my IPv6 connectivity, which is managed through a Teredo gateway. That Teredo gateway is still experiencing intermittent issues. One aspect of this problem which worries me, is that between 4h00 and 8h00, I had 3 changes to my IP address, assigned by my ISP. I have a system in place, called ‘DynDNS’, which updates this IP address to allow readers to resolve my URL. But when there are several changes within a few short hours, this automated system will also fail to keep updating the IPv4 address. And, the fact that this was happening also seems to suggest, that there was not one failure of my Internet connection, but perhaps rather, some malfunction of the router itself.

I apologize for the problems, to anybody who might have been wanting to read my blog, on a rainy Saturday afternoon.