A Peculiar DNS Look-Up Error Has Affected My Site.

One of the facts which I had written about earlier, was that I host my site on my own Web-server at home, but that I am a client at DynDNS. This latter service is one, which is supposed to resolve to my correct WAN IP address, at home, if a client computer executes the command


host dirkmittler.homeip.net

But unfortunately, starting from some point in time unknown to me, this look-up has returned an inaccurate IP address. This is going to have affected the visibility of my blog, since maybe August 20? I do not know of what use it will be to have my IP address registered, if the hierarchy of DNS servers does not reflect my real IP address.

This is even stranger, because the IP-address registered at DynDNS has remained correct, and has kept pointing to my home network.

The only thing I was able to do to correct this problem, was to log in to DynDNS, and to reset the information there manually.

Dirk

 

My Site Was Down For 4 Days.

I went away on a camping trip, from Monday, July 4, through to Thursday, July 7, inclusively. I had left some of my computers running on auto-pilot, hoping that they would continue to do so for the duration of my absence from home.

However, close to 8h00 on July 4, which actually means on the very Monday Morning I left home, there seems to have been a power failure at my home, which took down this server (temporarily). This means that my site was actually gone for the entire duration of my absence from home.

Even though no corruption or loss of data took place, I needed to be back home and in front of my computer, before I could restore this site. Therefore, as of 18h35 on July 7 (Thursday), the site is back up.

I actually heard that the power outage in question was an unusual one, even for Hydro-Quebec, as evidenced by the fact that this time, the power was reported as out for a duration of 3 hours, by certain people who I trust. Usually, the way outages due to thunderstorms work, a circuit-breaker in the distribution lines tries to make more than one automated attempt to turn the power back on. This relies on technology which has existed for decades by now, in hopes that a ?tree branch? or a direct lightning strike on the lines, has cleared itself up, and such automated resets actually save utility crews a lot of work and time, who would otherwise need to go out into the suburbs, just to do a manual reset. And then, the first automated reset can even take place within 15 minutes of a minor failure.

Not that that would have restored my site. None of my computers are set up, to a do a reboot automatically, if the power has failed and comes back on. Even then, the computer would still have had to wait for me to come home – 3 days later – to reboot it.

And, since according to one report this outage lasted for 3 hours, it was no routine deal for Hydro-Quebec.

Also, now that I am back home, I see that there has been an update to the “Dyn Updater” Software, which “DynDNS” clients like me can use, so that the IP address which our host-names resolve to, track future changes to the IP address, which my ISP may hand me, as a regular customer.

This update could lead to some better performance in the future, as v5.2.x had failed to track certain normal IP-address changes in some cases, in the past. I now have Dyn Updater for Linux, v5.3.2 installed, and it works so far.

Camping for 4 days was much fun.

Dirk

 

This Time, a Routine IP Address Switch

This time around, my ISP made a routine switch in my home IPv4 address, which my DynDNS software was able to follow, without any intervention on my part. This Earlier Posting explained, that a switch can also take place, which the software fails to follow automatically.

And this time, I did need to update my IPv6 (Teredo) address manually. It is to be assumed that IPv6 address changes of my server need to be updated manually, as explained in This Earlier Posting.

Hence, since last night, my IPv6 was unavailable until 13h15 this afternoon.

Dirk

 

Downtime

Unlike the solution which most Webmasters use, I host this site on my home computer, running as a server. But my IP addresses are dynamically-assigned and owned by my ISP, which is allowed to switch them from time to time.

Therefore, I have software which is meant to track such a switch,  and to update the new IPs to the public DNS server pool. That service happens to be called “DynDNS”.

Just this morning, from about 4h00 to 12h00, the Web site was not visible. The ISP had made a routine change to my IP, as they have done many times before. But this time, DynDNS casually failed to track the change.

The IPv4 and IPv6 addresses are up to date currently, due to my human intervention. Therefore, my site should be publicly visible again. I apologize for any inconvenience.

Dirk