On built-up Linux computers, we have two important nonlinear video editing applications available from the package manager: “Kdenlive” and “OpenShot”. As the naming would suggest, Kdenlive is centered on the K-Desktop-Manager, while OpenShot is not. Both use the Melt video processing library as their back-end.
(Edit: I goofed, first when I attempted to transcode the video using Kdenlive, and then again, when I wrote this posting about it.
What I had expected to find in the Project Settings of Kdenlive, was that the two “NTSC” formats be grouped together somehow, similarly to they are with OpenShot, starting with “NTSC”. Instead, Kdenlive has a long drop-down list, which is alphabetized by the software itself – not the programmers.
It has the setting simply named “NTSC”, which refers to the older, 4:3 version. But then, when the user wants to find the 16:9 version, he must scroll way up along the drop-down list, until he gets past the “HD” entries, all the way to the entry “DV/DVD Widescreen NTSC”. And then that setting will perform as expected.
Kdenlive therefore does not have this weakness, but my mistaken choice of output formats, was in fact the true reason for the malformed video file that resulted. )
There is a specific feature in Kdenlive,
which does not work properly. To understand what is expected of this feature, the reader must first of all understand something about the background of analog video.
Back in those days, the NTSC, PAL or SECAM signal format assumed a 4:3 aspect ratio, which was later translated into a digital equivalent, which in turn simplified the resemblance to analog, by assuming a pixel aspect of 1:1. This first resulted in the VGA format. In other words, in order for a rectangle of square pixels to have a ratio of 4:3, it would have needed to be a 640×480 resolution image. Because of the way analog signals were processed in practice however, an analog video signal could never really distinguish anywhere near 640 lines of horizontal resolution. 483 vertical scan-lines were smeared horizontally by the filters, to result in maximally 480 horizontal points in the case of NTSC, and that would have been, assuming a comb-filter was used, which was also not available in the early days of TV. In reality, when the signal-format was adapted to DVDs, a strict NTSC format was defined, that consisted of 486 vertical scan-lines, but which had 720 points horizontally, a pixel-aspect of 8:9, and the frame-rate was kept consistent with the 29.97 Hz the analog signal had. This latter deal may in fact be important in video editing, because if an incorrect frame-rate is combined with correct sound-compression from today, an eventual loss of synchronization may result, after longer intervals of play.
At some point in time, picture-aspects of 16:9 started to become popular with DVDs, and their format was adapted to this, by making the pixel-aspect 32:27, and maintaining 720 horizontal points. The question follows, how this change in aspect-ratios was sent along to an analog TV, and the answer would lie in the fact that analog TVs had several modes with which to display a 4:3 signal on their 16:9 physical screens, one of which was to letter-box, another of which was to oversize, and another was just ‘to stretch to make it fit’. Viewers would simply observe that this last option sometimes produced distorted results and sometimes not.
I.e., Nothing was done to communicate the meta-data; the picture was simply stretched to 16:9 on-demand, by the viewer settings.
The sad fact about Kdenlive, is that somehow,
it does not work with this notion correctly. As many video-editing applications may do, Kdenlive has a set of presets which the project is formatted to, as possible output-formats, and one of them is the Strict NTSC. This setting assigns some number of pixels, but still assumes an aspect ratio of 4:3, even when the user wants 16:9.
OTOH, OpenShot has a clear setting for NTSC, but in 16:9 instead of in 4:3. I have not tried them with PAL.
This failure of Kdenlive to process its meta-data correctly, has already slowed down one of my projects recently. I had a number of arbitrarily-formatted MP4 videos, and felt at first that the easiest way to transcode those into NTSC – 16:9, would have been just to open each in Kdenlive, but to set the output format to Strict NTSC. And the results were MPEG-2 -compressed streams which other, external player-applications could not play back.
Under the circumstances this was not a major setback, because I found an appropriate set of ‘ffmpeg’ command-line-recipes, which transcoded everything as I needed it. But a full-featured video-editing application needs to be able to make this format one of its targets.