In This Earlier Posting, I wrote that a rendering-engine exists, which is actually a (‘software-based’) ray-tracer, making it better in picture-quality, from what raster-based rendering can achieve, the latter of which is more-commonly associated with hardware acceleration, but that this rendering engine has been written in a variant of C, which makes it suitable both in syntax and in semantics, to run under OpenCL, which, in turn, is a driver for running massively-parallel computations on our GPU – on our Graphics Processing Unit. Assuming we have a sufficiently-strong graphics card.
That ray-tracer is known as “LuxCoreRender”.
Well previously I had spent a long time, trying to get this to run on my computer, which I name ‘Plato’, using the wrong methodologies, and thus consuming a whole day of my time, and tiring me out.
What I finally did was to register with the user forums of LuxCoreRender, and asking them for advice. And the advice they gave me, solved that problem within about 30 minutes.
Their advice was:
- Download up-to-date Blender 2.79b, from the Web-site, not the package-installed 2.78a, and then just unpack the binary into a local, user-space folder on my Linux computer,
- Insert the binary BlendLuxCore / Tell Blender 2.79b to install it directly from its .ZIP-File.
It now works like a charm, and I am able to define 3D Scenes, which I want LuxCoreRender to render! And running the code on the GPU – using OpenCL – also works fully.
I suppose that one advantage which ray-tracing affords, over raster-based graphics, is that the Material which we give models is not limited to U,V-mapped texture images and their H/W-based shaders, but can rather be complex Materials, which Blender allows us to edit using its Node-Editor, and the input-textures for which can be mathematically-based noise-patterns, as shown above.
(Update 8/21/2019, 23h55 : )
I should note that since the original time of this posting, Debian / Stretch has increased the version-number of their Blender to 2.79b as well. However, the Debian-packaged version of Blender, still cannot be used with LuxCore Render, and I imagine this is for the same reason as before. It’s just another example in which an object was given a new name, but remained the same object.