My Linux computers have PIM Software installed (…Personal Information Management), which is implemented with the KDE Desktop Manager, through a service which runs in user-space, called ‘Akonadi’. This service allows personal information to be synchronized across several platforms, including Google, Given the wishes of the user.
The most common way in which Akonadi is installed, is with its MySQL back-end for storing information locally, and doing so enables the software developers to run an instance of the MySQL database server, not as a system service, but by default as a localized instance, that accesses the folders of one user and only requires the user-name of one user.
According to this earlier posting, an update to the MySQL software itself, broke this way in which Akonadi works – probably because Debian developers did not coordinate that update with KDE developers. According to what I had written there, the system-wide package ‘
mysql-server‘ needed to be installed, that also launches the system-wide daemon, before the form of it localized for use with Akonadi would run again. This upset the way I had installed my Laptop ‘Klystron’, where I had previously not thought it necessary to install the system-wide server, to enjoy the use of Akonadi.
Just this evening, KDE developers and Debian / Jessie package maintainers pushed through an update to several Akonadi-related packages, which I installed using my package manager. When we do this, user processes such as Akonadi are not restarted automatically, since in doing that, the package-manager would also break the current session.
And so what I needed to do in order to apply the update, was just to log out of my current, graphical desktop session, and log back in again.
But according to this earlier posting, there has been a history as well, of such attempted log-outs hanging, leaving just the mouse-pointer showing, and leading to no further, apparent progress in actually logging out. So, as of October 21, I had enabled the <Ctrl>+<Alt>+Backspace key-combination on all the desktop sessions, which needs to be arranged before the desktop session is started, so that I would effectively be able just ‘to blow away the current session’, in case a log-out hangs again.
This time around, while I was performing the log-out, my procedure did hang again, leaving me waiting for a few minutes, taking from 19h55 until 20h05 in total. But I did use the <Ctrl>+<Alt>+Backspace key-combination, to hasten the restart of the X-server, which meant that I was not forced to reboot the computer.
This turned the update into a Success, because system services such as the Apache Web-server and ‘
memcached‘, and the system-wide MySQL database server, did not need to be restarted. And as a result, there was no disruption in any form to the blog or to my site.
Now, Because I have the system-providing
mysql-server package installed already both on my Laptop, as well as on this server-box ‘Phoenix’, I cannot tell whether this update did in fact fix that issue. Also, I cannot be sure that the update was meant to fix that issue. All I know, is that nothing is broken as it stands, and no services were disrupted.