How I fixed my Chrome for Linux Package Issue

In a previous posting, I described a specific issue I was having, with my Linux installation of Google Chrome.

I have now found a solution to this exact problem.

Chrome for Linux installs a daily cron job, which resets the file

/etc/apt/sources.list.d/google-chrome.list

by default. If it is absolutely necessary to override this behavior, let us say because our package manager is set up by default to pull both the 32-bit and the 64-bit contents of any repository, but the latest build of Chrome only supports a 64-bit architecture, then there is a configuration file named

/etc/default/google-chrome

This file defaults to containing


repo_add_once="false"
repo_reenable_on_distupgrade="true"

This can be changed to


repo_add_once="true"
repo_reenable_on_distupgrade="true"

Dirk

(Edit 02/06/2016 : ) Unfortunately, I have discovered that the variables defined in

/etc/default/google-chrome

Do Not change the behavior of the cron job, to rewrite the file

/etc/apt/sources.list.d/google-chrome.list

And so I found that slightly more aggressive editing was needed by be.

On standard Debian / Linux systems, the daily cron jobs associated with specific packages are stored in the directory

/etc/cron.daily

And there is a symlink in this directory, pointing to a target file, which is the script that Google Chrome runs. I did not take out the symlink. But I have changed the permission bits of the target file, to make that non-executable.

 

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Please Prove You Are Not A Robot *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>